Friday, November 30, 2007

The Cold Night - And Day 3
If you're wondering why there are no pictures at the beginning of this it's because I didn't take any. The night was one of the roughest hiking nights I've had yet as the cold air set in for the night. Winds blew through the air at 25-30 mph most of the night and with the temperature dropping down to 21 degrees, that meant a wind chill of 1 to 3 above and my 15-degree sleeping bag was doing little to keep it out. The Double Springs shelter was not in the best of shape and the air was cutting right through the holes in the walls and also through my sleeping bag. Needless to say there was very little sleep happening on my side of the shelter. Dan and Wayne were getting some 'z's' as I could hear their snoring. I cuddled up into my sleeping bag as deep as I could get. When my toes touched the wall it was like putting them onto a block of ice. For 12 hours that's how it was and I ached for the sun to show itself once more. Finally at about 6 am the sky to the east began to lighten but even when the sun finally showed itself there was little it did to help warm up the body or the soul.

The next problem I found was when I looked at my water bottles next to me. All four of them were frozen. Two were solid and two were at least a little soft so I could break it up. I had done a lot of things right on this trip with the heavier clothes and the heavier sleeping bag but one area I had made a mistake was my packing my food bag with something hot for breakfast. It was just another part of learning how to handle the big hikes and I know it won't be a mistake I'll make next time. Like they say you live and learn.
I had made up my mind during the night that I would come down off the mountain this day. I knew the temperature was supposed to drop down to 19 and I wasn't quite in the mood to go through another night like this one. I didn't feel so bad about it because there were at least four other hikers besides me that did the same thing. I hiked back up towards Clingman's and then took a side trail toward the parking lot. That half-mile wasn't easy as glaze ice in some places was 3-4 inches thick and made for some hazardous walking. But finally I was in open sunlight so the body could warm up a bit more.

After taking a water and snack break I started walking down the road, sticking my thumb out when a car or truck would pass. After walking about a mile two fine gentlemen from Cincinnati gave me a lift back to my truck. I was feeling much better as the sun came through and the heater made me feel all comfy.

But it doesn't end there. I decided I had time to drive the Roaring Fork Auto Trail so I gave myself a little treat. I knew there would be color along the river on the back side and since I hadn't got a lot of pictures I decided I would take the time and do some shooting. And now you get to see what I found. Below are the pictures I found that afternoon. Needless to say it was a photographer's paradise.

The next big hike??? Aaaah...the plan is for the Presidential Range in New Hampshire in July. If I get a good weekend in December I'll do a 24-miler on a trail near here. But I know you want to see those pictures so here they are. I'll be back soon.






4 Comments:

Blogger kimberwolf said...

ok - so you've now convinced me that i do NOT want to go winter camping, contrary to earlier thoughts...oh my - i would have gone and snuggled with those two guys - no matter your thoughts on gay marriage... :) j/k

but the pics are beautiful...nice shutterspeed usage!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Sallie said...

I love the pics....they are really pretty!! Sounds a bit like my night in Copenhagen....at least I had a Burger King thou! haha

5:39 AM  
Blogger The Maniac said...

Sallie,
I would have loved a triple Whopper that night with a big coffee..even though I haven't had any in 18 years. I would have made an exception that night...
%-)

8:41 PM  
Blogger The Maniac said...

Kimber,
I don't think they would have minded the extra body at all. Hell...you could have jumped in with me too...LOLOLOL!!!!!!
%-)

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home