Wednesday, April 23, 2008

BACK TO THE WOODS!!!
Well.....I'm finally back on the trails again. This particular hike came back in March so I know I'm a little slow getting back on here.
This hike was on the Adventure Trail in the Harrison-Crawford State Forest in southern Indiana. It had warmed back up in the 70's and there was just the need to get out and say hello to the trees again. This was my first hike since the floods we had here and one good thing about all the rain was the springs were back at full flow again. That meant plenty of water sources in case I needed them.
There were several people out hiking besides me. I guess everybody had gotten a little stir crazy and needed to get out like I did. Even the horse riders were out trying to take in some fresh air.

I've shown you this picture before but what makes it different is the fact that the water is muddy brown and the water levels are almost out of their banks. This is Indian Creek near the Indian Creek Shelter on the trail and 300 feet below me. It was running at an accelerated pace with the flooding current. The 5 1/2 mile hike back to the truck was much quieter than it had been going in as I met pretty much no one. I did find one group from Indianapolis resting by Old Forest Road and waiting for a ride to pick them up but for me it was another 2 1/2 miles to go. But that was okay. I was in need of the miles anyway.
With some disappointment it looks like I won't be going back to Mt. Washington this year because of the gas prices, which has made it difficult to just about anywhere. so I'll just be patient and wait, I hope, for things to get better. But I've still got the Smokies only five hours away so hopefully I'll be able to get at least to one mountain this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home