Thursday, February 08, 2007





The Ice Mound






Besides finding the other large masses of ice at Hemlock, I also came upon this piece of interesting work. What we have here is an ice mound being formed by water running off the cliff at the top. I know from this angle it really doesn't look very big but it's when you get up close and personal with it that you really get idea for the scale of it all.
The icicles hanging from the top have a constant stream of water coming down over it. This second picture gives you a better idea of the mass of it. The top section of the ice is every bit of 8 feet across if not more. You can see the amount of water pouring through the middle of the icicle. Yes that is through the middle of icicle. Other water allows the icicle to become wider and larger. This is one massive piece of ice you don't want to be under when the thaw starts.





I decided to show you just how big the mound really was by setting my camera in the self-timer mode then running up to the mound. Needless to say the mound was a lot more impressive when you get up close. I'm almost six feet tall so you can gauge the size of the mound from that. There were also some large ice balls on the left side of the base, some of them almost bowling ball size. They weren't real pretty like some I've seen so I decided not to take pictures of them. I don't know how long this mound will last as temps are supposed to get back above freezing next week. It will definitley hang around for a while though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home